Search This Blog

Saturday, December 18, 2021

The Awesomeness Continues




​I woke up about six this morning my stomach is feeling so much better thank God for medicine. I headed up to have a breakfast and it’s very odd the staff won’t let you touch anything!  Covid measures are very much still in place. I just had bacon eggs and an English muffin and some coffee and my stomach continues to feel fine.

I have an independent excursion this morning to do waverunners. I tendered off the ship and was met by the Moorea adventures tours. When we got to their offices I discovered that I was the only one booked on their morning excursion! Yay me! It got even better when I was informed that I would have not one but two hunky Polynesian men as my guides!




After some initial instructions, I was told to do a couple of circles around the bay to get comfortable with a machine. I also was told that in order to not feel as many bumps I needed to keep the wave runner at about 50 or over. This made all the difference in the world I truly enjoyed riding instead of being terrified.

I also learned that it is much easier to follow in the wake  smooth… it’s when you hit “the sides” of the wake that it’s crazy bumpy!

The guide was pleased that I did not seem to have any issues at least on the JetSki!

We headed out and started to circle Opanahu bay. We stopped occasionally and the guide gave information about the various things that we were looking at. My ship was docked in the other bay called Cook’s. 

After I was feeling more confident, we headed out beyond the coral reef and into the real ocean. OMG

It was so amazing. And just beyond where we were floating the waves were breaking and we watched the surfers again oh my God.

After that we made our way back inside the coral reef and headed over to a sandbar that was quite large. Soft white sand! I can’t remember the name of the sandbar but there was a little restaurant there and lots of families enjoying the ocean and the sand. 

Dolphins!!!! And one was a baby! Swimming next to Mom


Next we were off to the old Intercontinental resort where I stayed in 2015 for a week. It’s closed now I was told it was because of the employees striking for a better contract. Once the hotel was closed they needed to remain closed for two years so they could negotiate a better contract. It’s possible the resort may reopen sometime in 2022. It’s amazing How much the place deteriorated in a few years. It’s obvious how much daily maintenance is needed at these places to keep them looking so good  



We enjoyed a leisurely ride in the lagoons until we reach the area where the sharks and rays gathered. I got off the WaveRunner and into the water with these magnificent creatures. The rays are so used to people being around them they just slithered all over us. It was amazing. They feel like wet velvet when you touch them I was in heaven once again. And yes there were Blacktip reef sharks swimming all around. They are not as friendly as the rays but they do circle around quite closely to you. As I’ve been in the water with these creatures several times before, the sharks did not make me nervous at












When it was time to get back on the JetSki, I knew I was going to have issues LOL. Again, my lack of strength was a hindrance. And again I was reminded how I’m going to have to step up with some strength training if I want to continue to enjoy these activities. I am proud to say that I managed to get myself back on the JetSki but only when the guides walked the JetSki to a more shallow place so it was easier to get myself out of the water. 



Then, unfortunately it was time to make our way back into Opanahu Bay.  Those 4 hours went by so fast.  Imagine doing these tours every single day and being out in that water?

We made our way back to their office where I was treated to a cup of homemade rum punch it was very refreshing! Then it was time to take another ride in “le truck”.  

And before I knew it, we were back at the tender dock waiting to get back onto the ship. I went back to my room immediately and took a nice shower. Speaking of showers they really have the shower thing down pat. The one in my room is large and has an assortment of jets and a rain head showerhead.  

I decided to have a late lunch in my cabin. I have a little Juliette balcony and sat on my bed to watch the scenery and eat my lunch.  Because we were anchored in the bay, the ship slowly spun all around in a circle and I was just loving all the beautiful views of all the trees in the mountainous areas it was just breathtaking!

  Broccoli soup , crab spinach and artichoke dip and chocolate cake!



We were supposed to sail at five but the captain came on and said we were waiting for two passengers that had gotten here late and so we wouldn’t be leaving until around seven. 

Eventually I made my way up to the night club area it was very beautiful and they mix a wonderful Manhattan

A lovely duo from Columbia started playing and I sipped and toe tapped my way through their set. 

I went down to the main dining room called Amphora.  The food, the wine, the service and the atmosphere were just amazing. I had a salad, a cup of soup and Beef Wellington!  It was delicious

 



I was really full but I couldn’t resist a cup of homemade raspberry sorbet!

I came back to my cabin about 9 or so and started reading until bedtime.  

I want to mention my cabin steward—Oksana. She is wonderful and so friendly! I adore her.  Honestly though, the service is so over the top everywhere on this ship.  I’ve never experienced anything like it. 

And so ends another perfect day in paradise!

We are sailing to Raiatea and the ship is rocking me to sleep!

2 comments: