Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

We Interrupt this Practically Perfect Vacation with a TSUNAMI Siren

Moorea Day 6
I start this blog post in the shade of the umbrella next to the pool. It’s almost 4PM and soon time for happy hour. Feeling quite sad but at the same time so grateful to have had this chance to visit this gorgeous country. The sights, people, colors, reefs and all the ocean wildlife I’ve encountered are forever etched upon my mind.

God willing, I will be back here in a few years to experience it all again.

My day began at 5:22AM and to a very loud noise I couldn’t identify. I searched all around the room and finally deduced the sound was coming from outside my door. I pulled some clothes on and peered out my door and the only thing I saw was an empty corridor and the noise—even louder. I went back inside my room and called the front desk to inquire about the noise. This is what I was told. The noise is the tsunami siren. Please come to the front desk immediately. WTF?

I paused long enough to open the safe and grab my passport. It was raining as I hurried to the front desk. There were people gathered and a woman speaking in French to the group. I asked in English what was happening and was told this: The police were conducting a test of the tsunami alarm system. The hotels were not warned but only informed after the fact that it was a drill. They did not control the alarm—the local police did and this alarm had sounded all over the island.

I made my way back to my room and tried to go back to sleep. No luck. So, I started trying to organize my stuff for the long trip home. I gave up after a short time and decided to read and get a shower. After this I went upstairs to the restaurant and had my first breakfast at the hotel. I can only imagine the cost.

I stopped at the concierge desk and picked up my copy of the whale watch. OMG It’s stunning. Of course, I look dreadful but what can you do with hair ‘out to here’ in the wind? But it’s a beautiful summary of the whole excursion. It's far too big a file to upload, but maybe I can figure a way how to add it once I get home. 

It has stopped raining at this point so I decided to go out to the pool. Even at 11:30 the pool was empty as were the lounge chairs! I had my pick. So, I set up camp for the afternoon. It was hot today too. I tried to savor the feeling as I will be missing that very, very soon. Sigh.




About 2:20 I was a little hungry again and chose the only reasonably priced item on the bar menu—guacamole for 550 and a large bottle of water for about the same. I had seen this go by a number of times in the past days here and it looked good. The chips they served with it were an orangey color and I wondered what exotic fruit or vegetable they were made with. Turns out Doritos are very exotic here. LOL Despite that, the guacamole was freshly made and delicious. And the Doritos went well with it.

I am going to go out for my last night here. I want to go someplace that serves crepes. Then the unwelcome task of repacking begins. I want to pack everything in the suitcase except what I will need overnight for the flight, in Phoenix and jeans for the way home. God, I hope I don’t need a coat when I get there.

Kim Kardashian’s ass is here in French Polynesia. A Kardashian looking chick with a butt to rival Kim’s has just pranced in front of me here at the pool. Wow. That’s one thing about being here--Women of other nations are certainly not afraid to let it all hang out. And I do mean hang out. But hey, more power to them. I would not have the guts to wear some of the things I have seen even with a perfect body. If this chick bends over in front of my face again, I’m going to be sick. It’s not like I’m trying to stare at her butt……. Jesus Jenny.

OK, I wasn't going to post it, but she did have it all hanging out there today............And her man was wearing a skin tight suit and it was easy to see how much he loved the way his woman looked. LOL

OK. Here is a photo to cleanse your mind:


I guess I should get up and get moving. Hoping the hotel gives me a late check-out tomorrow as I don’t have to catch the ferry back to Tahiti until 4:45. That will give me most of another day here.  
Back from dinner and most of the packing is finished. (I did get my crepe) I do have to check-out at 11:00am but the hotel is giving me a transit room to use. It’s private and has a place to shower and includes all the toiletries. Nice touch.


Almost time for a glass or two of wine before bed. A long day tomorrow. And hopefully, no molesters on the plane this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment