Search This Blog

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Killing me Softly With His Song

I was up with the dawn today. Not really but I was up at 6:45. I needed to be at the dock at 8AM for the Whale/Dolphin watch. I boarded the ship to a gaggle of quacking like noise as there were only French people aboard. I asked the ‘captain’ if anyone spoke English. He said “Madame, we all speak English”. Oooookay. I’m familiar with this scenario. The same thing happened in Papeete on that whale watch. They are very good during the briefing but after that, not so much. And that was the same thing that happened here. I heard English twice until we docked. Mostly, I just smiled and tried to figure out where to look.

But the most excellent thing happened this time—we found a whale. The catamaran had a microphone they lowered into the water when they spotted a whale. I heard LIVE whale song. It was so amazing. It was a young male just singing his heart out. One thing I did learn during the briefing, to give you an idea of their size and weight, the tongue of the whale weighs as much as the catamaran does.
This isn't the best one but I can only upload 100 MB. The chirpy-clicky noises are dolphins. We were told that the dolphins like to hear whale song and actually sometimes if the dolphins are hanging out in one area, there could be a whale near by!

Anyway, the guide said to get ready and I wanted so much to go out there and swim but he said only the very best swimmers could go with him. So, I stayed near the boat, heart pounding. The whale was not adverse to us being near him at all. He ‘played’ and put on a show for us. It was so unbelievable. Once again, I was stunned and I think even more gobsmacked than I was in Taha’a. And that is saying a lot. Once back on the boat, I even got a picture of whale tail! I was so excited.
Whale Tail!!!


As a matter of fact, I was so amazed, ready to pee myself—whatever, that I turned off my camera at one point and thought I was recording the whale. I know…. Smacked myself already. But thankfully, there was a professional cameraman on board and he filmed the whole thing and I could purchase a copy for a mere 7000. What could I do? I handed over the money. I get the USB stick tomorrow!

We also saw several pods of spinner dolphins. That was pretty cool too. They didn’t jump out of the water, but surfaced as a group several times as they came up to breathe.

The scenery along the way was so amazing. The water—I know I’ve said it before but it is the most awesome colors I’ve ever seen. My photos look good, but somehow they don’t quite capture it. There were millions of coral heads I would have loved to stopped at, but not this time.





We sailed past the town of Hapati, which is a known surfing area. The waves were a good size and there were about 15 surfers out there. I have never been that close to surfers either!

The 3rd stop was in about 5 ½ feet of water with a fairly strong current. It was a place to snorkel with rays and sharks. (I actually thought…..again? LOL) No, it was pretty cool. The sharks at this stop got much, much closer. I mean, like 2-3 feet away from you. The rays were insane. They just slithered all over you and let you touch them. It was pretty amazing actually.

And no, the camera was not on zoom here. 2 weeks ago, I would have been climbing up the guide's back ala Miss Lindsey in Grand Cayman!



After we got back to the hotel, I came back to my room for a little lunch. I’d only had a yogurt for breakfast and was pretty hungry. I made myself a little feast of crackers, cheese, salami and 2 graham cracker-like cookies. Then it was off to the pool to read for a bit and cool off in the infinity pool. I got into the other one today. Both are 4 ½ feet deep with wide sitting/laying area at the edge away from the ocean.

I came back from dinner tonight and they were having the Polynesian dinner show on the beach in front of the pools. I can see and hear it from my room. It really didn’t interest me and it was very, very expensive to attend. They are loving banging on those drums. They are dressed in traditional Polynesian outfits. For the men this means that whole thong thing with these woven leaf things around their calves and a crown of some sort made of fresh greens and flowers.

Most of the men here have those beautiful tribal tattoos that are done in a brown color. I don’t know if I said, but they are very important. The man is said to go to the artist and tell his life and family’s story. Then the artist creates the tattoo based on this information with the appropriate symbolic images in the tattoo. They are also meant as some sort of protection for the person. If the men get them done in the traditional way, it is very time consuming and more painful than the needles.  Here is a link to an interesting article if you are interested:

I am going to get some sort of tattoo on my thigh to symbolize this trip. Not sure what—turtle, ray, fish. Who knows? I’ll keep you posted.

Back to dinner---most of the restaurants around here will send a car to pick you up and drop you back off.  Very convenient as most people don’t rent cars and nothing is really within walking distance. I went to Le Sunset at the Hibiscus Hotel tonight. I had the shrimp with curry and coconut sauce. They were very good. What killed me was the drink menu. I ordered a Hinano and it was $8 (not even the big bottle, just a regular 12 oz bottle). I know we are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean but the freakin’ beer is manufactured here and you can buy a bottle for about a $1 in a gas station. Yeah well, it went well with the spicy shrimp! And I brought a piece of the baguette back with me in my purse for a salami and cheese sandwich tomorrow for lunch!

And finally, Jeff Beck this is for you! You know how I feel about birds so I must really, really love you. LOL This bird is the boat's mascot and his name is Broken Beak. He hangs about until the boat really gets moving and then he flies off. He was a just a couple of feet from where I was seated and I almost sh*t when I saw him circling and getting ready to land. 




2 comments:

  1. LOL. you're really making progress with the bird thing. So proud of you.☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete