Search This Blog

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Hey Jealousy....It's not just a Song

I thought of that song by the Gin Blossoms--"Hey Jealousy" today as I was reading my friend's blog. She and her husband are in Tahiti and have been for quite some time now sailing on the Pacific Princess.
Here is a link to her blog. It is very entertaining and very informative:
http://www.pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/

Anyway, back to jealousy. I was feeling a bit down what with the time change looming over my head, feeling cold weather breathing down my neck, less and less light each day. Well, basically feeling sorry for myself. I was jealous that she was there... again and I was here. Before I got myself into a full blown wallow, I pulled on my theoretic 'big girl pants' and made myself think of all that I have to be thankful for.

First of all, out of all the people I know, friends and family both, I am the only one that I am aware of that's done a vacation like I've just done. The people I know are not wealthy. We exist in that class that is known as the middle class. Some of us are high middle class and some are at the bottom. But middle class all the same.

In general, most of us are happy to have our two weeks at the beach every summer, with a trip to Disney, the Caribbean or a cruise thrown in every few years to change things up. As a matter of fact, I felt that way for many years. Then I got bitten by the travel bug..........

Back in the late 90s and early 2000 was when I got my first bite. I got a passport and went on a cruise to the Bahamas and that was all it took. I began to long for distant destinations, more exotic locales, new adventures, ancient history and cultures foreign to me.

A new savings account was started-this one strictly for travel. As my salary increased at work and my kids grew to adults my travel savings account grew. Some people choose to use their increased disposable income for the latest car or a new house or the latest gadgets. Me, I choose to drive an old car and keep my old house. I also think I am the only person on the planet that does not own a flat screen TV. I choose to spend my money on travel.

Don't get me wrong, I have spent money on my house over the years. It has a new roof, windows, furnace, front porch, deck and kitchen. All necessary improvements done over the last 15 years. I also did a lot of work myself-painting, installing shelving, a new hot water heater, hanging blinds etc....And I think my house looks pretty nice.

Oh, I got lost there for minute. Back to the travel bug. Once bitten I'm pretty sure there is no cure. At least there doesn't appear to be one for me. The further afield I roam, the further I want to go. My latest obsession is Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia. But I was very impressed by French Polynesia and would love to spend more time getting to know a few of the islands in more detail.  So who knows what the future has in store!!!

For me, part of the excitement of the trip is doing the research and planning. Learning about the country, culture and history. For about 3 years prior to my trip to French Polynesia, I read about the islands, explored the various ways to visit. And during those 3 years, I saved money to finance the trip.

And here we start talking about another type of jealousy. Other people's!
That's what a lot of people don't understand. They asked me over and over how I afforded it or said snarky things like "it must be nice". I didn't pull this money out of the air, I don't have a sugar daddy footing the bill, I did not run up credit cards to pay for it. I saved for it. I chose to bring my lunch to work. I chose to only eat out once a month or so. I chose to only buy the things I needed--not the things I wanted. I lived on a budget.

I created spreadsheets and budgets for the trip so I understood what I could afford and what I could not. (This is nothing new. I have done this for all the trips I've taken-although not to this extent) I also researched how much things cost and how to save money on airfare or hotels. And in the end, I was able to do and see everything I wanted and spend almost 3 weeks in paradise.

After writing all of this, I realize I am no longer jealous. I am grateful for what I have. I have both of my parents--both in good health, living independently and loving me like no one else ever will. I have siblings that I am thankful for. Especially my sister. She has been there whenever I have needed her to help me or just to listen.

I am also blessed with nieces, nephews, cousins, aunts and uncles--all of whom have had a hand in making my life full of love and happiness. My mind is full of memories of time spent at family reunions or just visiting for the weekend or the evening. Holidays full of family and too much food made with love. Laughing until it hurt......

My friends need to be included in this list of gratitude. I don't think I tell them often enough how much they mean to me and how much they've enhanced my life. My true friends have ALL been there for me when I needed help or just someone to listen.

And finally, my children. I don't think they have any idea how they've made such a difference in my life and how much I love them. I remember their first everything and how proud their father and I were, and still are, of them. I celebrate every one of their 'victories' perhaps even more than they do. Until I had them, I never knew it was possible to love anyone that fiercely or as much as I do.

I am blessed.

So, in closing, a post that started out full of 'woe me' is ending with me feeling teary-eyed and grateful for everyone and everything in my life.

I think this Gypsy is going to take a stroll down memory lane in future posts. I'd like to relive some of the more memorable places and experiences I've had over the years. I hope you'll follow along!


No comments:

Post a Comment