Search This Blog

Saturday, April 22, 2017

What a Grand (Turk) Day!

This is the only port we did a ship's tour. I chose a snorkeling trip to two different spots and the remainder of the day spent on a beach near the ship. We docked at 9:30 and made our way to our tour that left at 10am.





We walked to a small boat docked right next to the ship and set off for the first snorkeling stop. And what a great spot it was. The boat anchored about 20 or 30 feet from the "WALL". This is an area that drops hundreds of feet from the snorkeling depth of about 20 feet deep. It was amazing and a tiny bit creepy at the same time. There were tons of fish and interesting coral formations. The Captain of the boat actually had to yell at the group several times to get back aboard. We were there for at least an hour--and I am pretty sure I only lifted my head out of the water 3 times.

 The edge of the wall, looking into the deep blue sea



 Look at that sea fan!
 I could not believe how many fish were gathered right there. This was at the wall.


Our tour guide dove down and was actually down the side of the wall. Crazy!




Our next stop was in an area that much more shallow and had much less living coral. It made me sad to see so much dead coral. But they are trying to rebuild reefs using boulders and sinking ships to the bottom. However, there were still areas of living coral and lots of fish to see. This stop was about an hour but was sort of irritating due to these creatures that had no regard for anyone but themselves and just kicked and paddled their way wherever they pleased. UGH I was kicked 3 times, once in the head. Not even a hint of apology. Azzholes.

I did get some good photos of lots of fish several, I've not seen before.

 I have no idea what type of fish this is, but it was beautiful

 Another Gorgeous Sea Fan

Brain Coral
If this fish could talk I'm pretty sure he would have a lisp. LOL LOL



 The fish were so unusual. I've never seen one like the blue, black orangey one near the bottom


And a video, somewhat disturbed by the 'creatures' on our boat. Right at the end is where I got kicked in the head. Fun!




After that, the boat drove right up to the beach and we went down the little ladder and there we were -- in the soft sand. Today's sand was so different than St. Kitts. It was light colored and very powdery, lovely to walk on.

We were starving so we made our way down the beach to a place recommended by our tour guides. We could see the grills smoking and smell the jerk chicken. On Yum. We found a table and ordered a variety of food and drink. I must say this was the BEST jerk chicken I've ever had and I wish I had
some right now!




We spent the rest of the day lounging in chairs, under umbrellas at the beach near the ship.
A very good time had by all!

No comments:

Post a Comment