Search This Blog

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Blown Away--Almost

Today was our first sea day. I took advantage of that and slept until about 10am. My companions got up a bit earlier and went to the sea day brunch. They called the cabin and food wasn’t sounding good to me so I went back to sleep. Well, I tried to. The people in the cabins across the hall from me are thoughtless idiots. No matter what time of day or night, they use their ‘loud voices’ and have no concept of how to close a door quietly. Sigh

After a long, hot shower, I eventually made my way up to the Lido deck to have a bit of breakfast. It is normal breakfast fare. The stations are set up with hot dishes like scrambled eggs, bacon, ham, potatoes, pancakes, waffles etc. Another station has pastries and breads, another lunch meat, cheeses -etc. There are other areas dedicated to custom made omelets and the Havana Bar has ‘Cuban bites’. I know they also offer a Green Eggs and Ham character type breakfast for the kids.

As today was Easter, they had an Easter Bunny available for pictures and bunny face painting for the kids as well. There may have been other activities but I didn’t see them.  I will say the Kids Clubs are in high gear as there are many kids on this cruise and from what I’ve heard and seen, many of the kids attend.

The sun was shining and the sky mostly cloud free when I made my way outside. The main pool area was wall to wall people around the pool and the tiered areas around it. I started climbing to the next decks intending to go to Serenity and read a bit.

The ship was still rocking and rolling and the winds were still constant at 50 knots. Holy crap. It was difficult to walk up the steps and the wind was unbelievably strong. Still, there was some seating up there—no loungers or clam shells loungers. I took a seat in one of the sectional seating areas and settled in to read. After a few minutes, I was cold. I headed around the corner to the towel station and checked out 2 towels and covered up. Yes, the wind made it that chilly. After covering up, I was able to stay there for a few hours and read, nap and watch the sea. Despite being on the 14th deck, it was very easy to see how large the swell was and see the whitecaps.

These seas rival the cruise Lindsey and I were on in 2008 in the Mediterranean. Still, a sunny day at sea is a good day in my book and I enjoyed just being outside despite the wind. The captain came on for his daily update and said he was changing course to try and get to a less choppy and windy area. But I don’t think he had any luck as the winds continued all afternoon.

I had a late lunch at the Mongolian Wok—again. I cannot get enough of that food. Today I had chicken, vegetables and cellophane noodles in a black bean sauce. And I walked over to the Havana Bar area to eat it. That area overlooks the aft of the ship. I ate my delicious lunch watching the wake. I headed back to my cabin around 4 or so and found these giant dryers on the floor near my door. The maintenance man told me there had been a ‘flood’ in another cabin. Sure enough, when I walked in, the carpeting near my door was wet.

Because I expended so much energy lounging and eating, I decided to read but my eyes kept shutting and I drifted off, only to be awakened by my lovely neighbors screaming for Julianna to “Come on, we’re waiting”…Julianna, Let’s go…..Julianna, get out here this minute” I was pretty much ready to go and drag Julianna out of the cabin but apparently she appeared and the door slamming began. I drifted back to sleep…..RING RING RING. Hi, this is guest services, I’m just wondering about the clean-up in your cabin. Is everything alright now? You don’t notice any uh… smell? Oh great, it was a sewage flood. But luckily I did not notice any smell. Any other issues? Yes, I tell her. My toilet doesn’t flush all the time. You push the button and nothing happens, then like 5 minutes later it flushes. Ok, we’ll have maintenance come up and then finish drying out your cabin. What time do you go to dinner? 

Ok. Now back to my nap.  Dozing off……KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK, then the door opening. Oh, Hello Miss Jill, I just wanted to drop off your Platinum Gifts, I can come back. I said, No just come in and leave them. It’s fine. Seems I am entitled to a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a pin with the year and ship name on it. Good, now maybe I can get a nap. Ahhhhhhhh, rocked to sleep once again by the ship.

Tonight the cabin and the crew were in the atrium lobby for a meet and greet. Social butterfly, me decided to shake hands with each of them and ask them some questions. If you know me you know that is so not me, but for whatever reason, I did it. I actually even had a picture taken with the Captain.  But after I did that, I immediately headed to a hand sanitizer station to douse my hands. Now, that is very me!!!


Now, onto dinner! Tonight was the first formal night and the American Feast dinner. Most people were dressed to the nines! I love seeing that. The tables were covered with a white tablecloth tonight but that formality I love at dinner was still not present. I had pasta carbonara as a starter and the lobster and shrimp for my dinner. Oh and while we were waiting for our appetizers to come out, the waiter came over and started speaking to Kolton about complimentary wine and showed him a wine list. Then it came out that the wine was for the inconvenience of the accident in his cabin with the plumbing. Ummm, yeah that was me. So I chose a nice bottle of white wine to go with dinner. I thought that was very nice as I was not really inconvenienced at all.
Pasta Carbonara
Lobster and Shrimp

After dinner, we walked out to the atrium where they were just beginning a Motown tribute. We were 1 deck above and the place was packed. They had the stage show singers and dancers all around the bar and then for 2 more floors above, people were gathered around the railings. We watched that for a lot longer than we should have and then made our way to the comedy club. We should have gotten there a lot earlier as it was SRO. So we stood and the comedian was very dirty and very funny. I’m glad we decided to go.

There really is so much going on, day and night, on this ship. You will never have enough time to do it all.

Totally random thought--the Cruise Director on this ship began to annoy me Day 1 with a particular word she uses in her 'announcements' every single time. The word is "lovelys". It even looks annoying spelled. She refers to all the passengers as her "lovelys'. Good day my lovelys, have a great evening my lovelys, enjoy your day at sea my lovelys. She is British--obviously. And to me, she is just as annoying in person. You just know she has those awful British teeth. I hope I don't get close enough to her to find out. LOL

Well, kids, it’s 12:30 and I should get to sleep. Another grueling day of lounging is up tomorrow and I need to rest up.

Oh, and I will post pictures tomorrow—I took a bunch on my phone but forgot the thingy that takes them off your phone and puts them on the computer. So I am re-taking pics with my camera!

TTFN---The winds and high seas continue to blow us further southeast but we are down to 47 knots. 


No comments:

Post a Comment