Search This Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Downsizing

As October comes to a close, I am slightly panicked when I think that about only have two more weeks to get ready to move.

Speaking of October--what a weekend we had here. It was shorts and flip flops weather all weekend until the rain came. Very unseasonal. But I think that was the last hurrah of Summer 2016. Sigh.

This weekend coming up, we turn the clocks back. Oh joy, go to work in darkness and come home in darkness. I am seriously considering getting one of those SAD light boxes. Does anyone have experience with those? Do they work? I saw a desktop model I could use at work. It has great reviews on Amazon..... I am tempted. I can feel the grayness starting to settle in around me.  But I digress.

Back to moving. My nephew was over yesterday and he partially filled one of those Bagster dumpster things with bricks and scrap wood and various other useless items I won't be needing. Plus we filled my truck with things and drove to our local ReStore. And today, I had my new neighbors come shopping in my house for various furniture items I won't be needing. They moved here from Hawaii and pretty much arrived with the clothes on their back.

They are super nice people and I am sorry I won't be having them as neighbors for long. But, like I told them, we may not be neighbors for long, but we can be friends forever!

And I still have more things I am donating to the ReStore. If you have one in your area, you should check them out. They are a great organization. The items you donate are sold and the proceeds benefit your local Habitat for Humanity. Plus the store itself is a wonderful place to shop for doors, window, kitchen cupboards---pretty much anything household related. I love poking around in there.

I have never considered myself a pack rat by any means, but I am amazed at how much 'stuff' I have. But still, downsizing from 2200 square feet of living space plus a workroom and laundry/storage area to a two bedroom apartment is a pretty drastic change. But I must say, much like the downsizing of so-called 'friends' in 2015, it's painful at first but eventually, you are so much the better for experiencing it.

My plan for this work week is to pack up all the non-furniture items in each room. I'm sure there will be a small amount of additional purging as I narrow down my belongings to just what I need and the things I really treasure.

I have one really important thing to do before I move, though. I must dig up my Saint that was buried in the front yard by my friends. He is upside down right now but he is going to stay that way until all the paperwork is signed and I have my check in hand!  Even though I am not Catholic I am a firm believer in the saints. My denomination is often called "Catholic Light" because of the many similarities to the Catholic faith. Basically, the Episcopal religion is Catholic without confession.

I've often thought that going to confession would make you feel so 'light' afterward. You know, unburdening yourself of sins and getting official forgiveness. And I am half in love with this Pope. He may be the final reason I need to convert!

So there you have it folks. I've gone from talking about moving, weather, SAD and religion--all in one post!!!

Happy Sunday! I'm off immerse myself in another life, in another time, in another country--all without leaving the comfort of my bed! An excellent book can do that for you!

Always remember, when your 'real life' doesn't allow you to travel, you can still live like a Gypsy in your mind with a good book!

tata for now!







No comments:

Post a Comment