Search This Blog

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Turn the Page

Sometimes we start down a road that we've never traveled on and that can make us feel all sorts of ways---excited, nervous, hopeful and even a bit afraid. Despite all these feelings we put one foot in front of the other and continue moving down that new road.

That's where I am at right now in my life. And I do feel all those emotions and a couple more I didn't mention. I'm about to start a completely new chapter in my life and that is taking me down the road of the unknown.

I am familiar with this new road--I thought about starting down it many times over the past 10 or so years, but somehow the time didn't feel right.

For years now, I've been 'threatening' to sell my house. But now, my kids are out on their own and settled into their lives and 2200 square feet of house, plus a large yard to maintain is far too much for one person. So, I did the work to get the house looking beautiful. And I must admit, that is sort of bittersweet. I mean, the place finally looks like I've wanted it to look for years and now it's up for sale. But I know the time is right.

Last year, I was forced to start down another new road and it's the one I continue to travel today. I will admit, the fear of the unknown was great but I can say with confidence that the choices I made were the right ones for me. I took a job as a contractor doing work in an area I'd never even considered.

My new team is awesome and my management has been very vocal in letting me know how impressed they are and continue to be with my performance. After only three months, I was told they wanted to hire me when my contract was up. They were as good as their word and I am happy to report I am now a Full-Time employee! (Well, as of October 31st I will be)

What a difference this new job has made in my life. While I don't skip into work every day, I've never once felt myself tense up as I walked through the doors. I no longer have to talk myself into going to work. It's a great feeling! My sister thinks this new job and happiness is the karma payback I've been wanting. Maybe she is right--is happiness the best revenge? Me, I was hoping more for a direct karma hit to a most deserving person. I am not nearly as nice as my sister. LOL

But, I have Turned the Page so to speak and put my old life behind me. The part I am having the most difficulty with is the forgiveness part. I am trying but I'd still like to take her overly botoxed, filler filled face and slam it into the concrete a few times. But I digress.........

Back to my new job... I continue down my new road feeling confident, happy and very satisfied with life. As the next new road approaches, once again I will turn onto that new path and take the next steps into the next chapter of my life.

I am downsizing to a 2 bedroom apartment and moving to the 'other' Shore. Yes, boys and girls, I am moving to the West Shore. While I was born on that side of the River, I've not lived there since I was 17 so this feels very strange.  All my 'stuff' is here--doctor, dentist, hair salon, nail place, pharmacy, my favorite sub shop, grocery store, shopping. UGH !

I do know all of those things exist on the "other shore". But, it's almost like moving a million miles away. Most people around here do not seem to be dual-shored. LOL Even if you venture to work on the opposite shore, more than likely you retreat to "your" shore right after work 95% of the time.

I'm sure it won't take me very long to acclimate but now it seems a teeny bit daunting. It will be very nice not having to worry about any maintenance, inside or out. Plus, I've worked all the costs out (you guessed it... on a spreadsheet) and this move will save me quite a bit of money each month. So that's more I can put towards my retirement--because I want to retire in style and in not that many years from now!

In addition, this move makes it quite a bit easier to pick up and move south when the time is right. Because as we all know, I loathe the winter months. Lack of sunlight and cold temperatures are quite depressing. Although this does keep me motivated to save money for retirement so I can move to warmth and sunshine all year round!

So, there you have it: New roads, pages turned, choices made. A bit scary? Of course. But staying on the same road all your life is very boring!  And that is something this Gypsy hopes to never become!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome!!! Good luck on this new chapter of your life. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will certainly keep you all posted!!!

      Delete