Search This Blog

Sunday, September 11, 2016

The Adventure Begins.......

I honestly don't know why I follow the 'arrive 2 hours prior to departure' rule when flying out of the airport in Harrisburg. It's always empty. Well, morning it's fairly busy. But even that doesn't require you to be there 2 hours prior. I was the ONLY person in the security line. I still marched through the Pre-Check line so I could keep my shoes on and my liquids stowed. The laptop did have to come out of my back-pack though. I did NOT have to go through the 'make you naked' scanner--even though they do have one.
HIA Midafternoon:




Not that there are many refreshment options here to begin with, but EVERYTHING was closed except for Auntie Anne's. The food court and Dunkin Donuts were all barred and dark. So it was a pretzel hot dog for breakfast/lunch. (I have absolutely nothing perishable to eat in my house) I have a layover in Charlotte so I will be able to get something there. But, I am flying first class and will be served a meal on the way to Seattle. That should be interesting. I'll keep you posted.

Gate C3 in beginning to fill up. And when I say fill up, I mean there are now about 20 people here, instead of just me and the ticket agents. I don't see an airplane yet, but I do believe I will be on a real plane, instead of the Buddy Holly thing I usually have to ride to Philadelphia. As always, there is a jetway but I can't tell yet if it will actually be pulled up to an airplane.

An airport is a great place to people watch and I am always fascinated by the attire people choose to wear for travel. Me, I am wearing jeans, socks, clogs and a black v-neck t-shirt. I also packed a long sweater in case the plane is cold. A majority of people have taken a similar approach.

However, there is a young girl (20s) wearing short shorts, a tank top, flannel shirt and cowboy boots. One person looks as though they never bothered to change out of their jammies. Another person is wearing leggings and a too tight t-shirt and looks like she is encased in sausage casing. No one really dresses to fly now, like we did 'back in the day'.

Another thing I am observing, there are only 2 people sitting here that are not plugged into some sort of technology.

OMG some woman just walked up with an effing YIPPY little dog. It's not even harnessed. She is now feeding the thing treats and also has a saran wrapped bowl of wet food for the dog. A mini dog dish has now been placed on the floor near my feet. After she puts it in the canvas tote she has, where is it going to go to the bathroom? I only hope she is not sitting near me. And what do people, like my son, do when they are severely allergic to dogs and board a plane sitting near one? My son's allergies were so severe that he would get hives if a dog brushed up against him. WTH? Since when is this OK? Put the dog in luggage hold, or better yet leave it at HOME in a kennel or with a friend. Now, she put the dog in her lap and the thing is licking her lips--"giving her kisses". Can you say Vomit?

Ok, we are boarded and I am loving my seat. The woman and her yipper walked on by to coach.
I have to say, 1st class on this regional jet was very nice. More leg room than I knew what to do with. Very comfortable seats and service was wonderful. I could have flown comfortably for a much longer  flight.


We landed in Charlotte right on time. I did attempt to get into the Admiral’s Lounge but alas, even with a first class ticket, no admittance. What a bunch of crap that is. Of course, I could buy a day pass. I don’t think so. 

I am now ensconced in a California Pizza Kitchen/Bar. I am trying a local draft beer as they are out of Blue Moon. It’s ok, but a bit more bitter than I would prefer. I also ordered a personal Cheese Pizza from California Kitchen. I’ve never had their pizza before. It’s pricy but not sure if that is just because we are at the airport, or it’s just a pricy brand.
Have to say, not a fan of the pizza. Very bland and tasteless IMO.

Off to the gate for the last leg of this journey.
I am settled into seat 3A in first class. Nice wide window seat. Standard old style first class. The attendant came around with water prior to take-off. Once in the air, we were given warm, oven roasted cashews and almonds. About 1 ½ hours into the flight, dinner was served. It was pretty decent for airline food. The alcohol was flowing the entire time and I had 4 gin and tonics in real glass glasses.

We ended up having to fly to Seattle in a very in-direct way due to some storms in the mid-west. The pilot came on and told us we were actually going to fly down to Atlanta and then across Mississippi before we started to head northwest. I checked out status a few times and we headed across Nebraska, then at one point we were over Colorado Springs. Finally we made it North and flew across Montana and Idaho before making our way to Seattle.

I took a ton of pictures of the gorgeous cloud cover as we flew above it. And for most of the way, we were chasing the sunset. It was very beautiful. We finally lost the race and descended into Seattle in darkness. 





Carren and Max were waiting in the Cell Phone lot for me. My luggage was the 2nd piece to come out in baggage claim!! And off I went to wait for Carren. After the ride back to my cousins’ house, we talked a bit and then I pretty much face-planted into the bed as it was almost midnight in Seattle—so 3am for me.

After a solid 8 hours of sleep, I was up and ready for the new day!!




No comments:

Post a Comment